An electric kettle is a functional home appliance that is useful to all members of the family. From the young to old use warm water on a daily basis for many reasons such as: making hot drinks like tea and coffee, cooking, making hot compress, and there are many more uses. Having an electric kettle has proven to give great convenience to every household.
There are hundreds of electric kettles on the market from different brands, sizes, materials, features, and prices which makes it difficult to select one that meets your needs. To ensure that you’ll get the best electric kettle for you, consider these 5 tips before purchasing.
1. Prioritize durability.
Considering durability is necessary when choosing an electric kettle to ensure that it will last for years. Durable appliances can be expensive but it will save you money in the long run as you don’t have to buy a replacement in every other year. Aside from that, you are also helping the environment by reducing the negative impact of nonbiodegradable products on Earth.
2. Choose the right material.
There are 4 materials used in making electric kettles. Each has different characteristics and benefits:
- Stainless Steel – are durable kettles which would look great in any kitchen design because of its neutral color. This kettle boils water fast because of its heat conducting material.
- Porcelain or Ceramic – has a classic pot design which adds beauty to the kitchen. This is the best choice for tea lovers because its odorless and retains the flavor of teas.
- Glass – are attractive and has modern design. Glass kettles allows users to easily check water level and boiling status even from afar.
- Plastic – most commonly use material and the cheapest. Some plastics contain harmful chemicals that may cause health problems. Check for BPA Free labels to avoid this issue.
3. Select a quick boiling kettle.
Boiling water is one of the simplest household chores but waiting for the water to boil may steal your precious time. Spend less time in the kitchen and prepare your favorite drink quickly with a fast boiling kettle. This allows you to drink your morning refreshment without worrying of being late for your appointments, spend more time with your family, or do other chores in the house. In addition, having a fast kettle will save you money from reduce electricity usage.
4. Check the features.
One of the most important factors to check on electric kettles is the features because it tells what the appliance can do for you. Here are important features you can expect in an efficient electric kettle.
- Cordless – Modern electric kettles are detachable from their 360-degree powerbase allowing you to use the kettle conveniently without the hassle of a cord.
- Auto Shut-Off and Boil Dry Protection – Kettles with advance technology automatically turn off when it detects when the water boils and when there is no water inside. This allows safety boiling, prevents damage to the appliance, saves energy, and gives peace of mind as you don’t have to worry about forgetting to turn off the kettle.
- LED Light Indicator – Allows you to easily check whether the kettle is on or when the water is done boiling.
- Keep Warm Function – It is handy to have this feature, especially if you like a second cup, as it holds the water temperature for a period of time some do this for up to 30 minutes with others is up to 2 hours depending on the model.
- Variable Temperature – Allows you to select best temperature for your desired drink.
Your family’s size and usage are important when choosing an electric kettle. A 0.5-liter capacity kettle is not enough for a family of 5. Make sure to get a kettle that is appropriate to your household size so you don’t waste time and energy on reheating.